If you have decided to file for divorce, you need to first check for the residency and separation requirements. North Carolina allows for no-fault divorce, but either of the spouses must have lived in the state for at least six months prior to filing. Also, the couple must have lived separately and apart for at least one year. This actually refers to having two residences. If you are filing for divorce in Charlotte, you are probably wondering – Do I need a lawyer? In this post, we are sharing the pros and cons of hiring a Charlotte divorce lawyer.
- You can get advice on your circumstances. When you are unsure of how to take the divorce ahead, a skilled lawyer is your best resource for help.
- Your attorney will protect your rights. More than just the paperwork, your divorce lawyer is key for protecting your interests and rights.
- You can save time. When you want to end the marriage at the earliest, DIY divorce may not be the best idea. Get an attorney, who can handle everything, to avoid unwanted delays.
- You don’t need to deal with the paperwork. Family law in NC is complicated, and the paperwork can feel overwhelming, especially if you have never interacted with the legal system. With a lawyer, paperwork is not a point of concern.
- Expect a fairer settlement. Your attorney will ensure that your divorce doesn’t impact your interests, or what is rightfully yours. If you are expecting alimony, let your attorney know in advance.
- Avoid a court hearing. You may have to go to court once to get the divorce, but you can avoid a trial altogether by hiring a lawyer. Courts in NC encourage couples to settle matters amicably outside of court.
- Mediation can be easier. Discussing and sorting issues with your attorney will be a lot easier when you have a lawyer. Your lawyer knows how to ease things with your spouse, and if that doesn’t work out, the lawyers will negotiate separately.
- The cost. For most people, the biggest concern about hiring a lawyer is the cost. Yes, an attorney does add to the divorce costs, but consider all the pros we just discussed, their expertise is worth paying for.
As you may have guessed, hiring a lawyer for your divorce is an important and necessary decision, even though not mandatory by law. Before you initial anything, talk to a known lawyer in Charlotte first.